We’re so happy that you’ve come to CDLC in search of your new pet! Our Adoption Center is full of amazing cats and kittens ready to find their forever homes. All of our adoptable dogs are in foster homes. We have many dogs and cats, from young to senior, available for adoption.
Adoption is an act of love. By adopting one of our cats or dogs you are saving a life and providing a second chance. Your new pet will be forever grateful and reward you with a lifetime of love and dedication. Most of our pets are here because of a ‘human problem’ like a divorce, or a move, not because the pet did anything wrong. They deserve a happy life and in return, you will be thanked with kisses and purrs for many years to come!
Adopting an older dog or cat has many benefits; your new pet’s temperament is already known-no guess work needed! Older pets are typically more gentle, laid back and easy to care for than younger ones. They are also often house-trained and mannerly and just need a little time to acclimate to their new home.
OUR ADOPTION FEE INCLUDES
- Spaying or neutering
- Distemper vaccinations
- Rabies vaccination
- Heartworm test and prevention (for dogs)
- Feline Leukemia/FIV test (for cats)
- Flea/tick treatment
- Behavioral and training assessments are done to the best of our ability.
Our adoption fees start at $125.00. Our senior adoption fees are open to the generosity of the potential adopters. We understand owning a senior pet has an increase of future expenses (such as supplements, screening exams, dental care).We are always extremely excited to find homes our older animals or those with disabilities.
Our rescue commitment…
Once an animal is adopted from our organization, another animal is taken in from a high kill shelter. Your adoption not only offers a home to the animal of your choice, but to another animal desperately waiting for a second chance at life.
Below is an outline of how our application process works:
- Complete an on-line adoption application, indicating which cat(s) or dog(s) you are interested in.
- You will receive an email or phone call back in response to your application if we have questions regarding your responses. At this time, you will be encouraged to visit the animal(s) at our Adoption Center during our meet and greet hours (see Hours of Operations below). We require that all family members residing in the home, where the potential animal will live, be present for the meet and greet. If for some reason this is not possible, we will need to speak with this family member verifying they are in agreement of the potential adoption.
- Our volunteers will introduce you to our animals and answer any questions you might have.
- If you find a pet you think would be a perfect fit for you (and your family), our volunteers will help determine if it’s the best match for your family and the animal.
- Your veterinary references will be checked during this process. Please contact your veterinary clinic giving permission for our staff to speak with them regarding your current and past pet(s) health. Several clinics require your consent to release information. After speaking with your veterinary clinic, we may have further questions for you or need clarifications regarding your application.
- Once approved, we can schedule a time to pick up your new family member! Please note: We Do Not do same-day adoptions. There can be some exceptions to this policy depending on travel distances.
A few things to note:
- You must be 21 years or older to adopt. Please bring a valid form of I.D.
- All currently owned animals (cats and dogs) residing in your home MUST BE SPAYED OR NEUTERED. There are NO exceptions. This is true in any of the following incidences: if you are applying to adopt a cat and your current cats(s)/dog(s) are not spayed or neutered, your application will be denied; if you are applying to adopt a dog and your current dog(s)/cat(s) are not spayed or neutered, you application will be denied. We are first and foremost an animal rescue organization advocating for the humane treatment of all animals.
- All members of the family will need to meet your potential new pet. We want to make sure this relationship is a good fit for everyone!
- If you are looking to adopt a dog and already have a dog(s), we ask that you bring them to the shelter to meet your potential new pet.
- If you are looking to adopt a cat and already have a dog(s), we will access the potential cat with a cat-friendly dog prior to the possibility of an adoption. It is in the best interest for all animals involved to have slow introductions. Rushing the relationship(s) can hinder the possibility of future cohesive living among the animals.
- If you are looking to adopt a cat and already have a cat(s), we will provide you with literature about the importance of slow proper introductions. We generally have a good sense as to which of our cats get along well with other cats so please understand we are making those recommendations based on the many experiences we have had with adoptions. It is in the best interest for all cats involved to have slow introductions, this can be key to a successful relationship. Rushing the relationship(s) can hinder the possibility of future cohesive living among the cats.
- The adoption fee includes spay/neuter, microchip, current vaccinations, deworming/parasite preventative, heartworm testing and preventative in dogs, and testing for feline leukemia and FIV in cats. CDLC only runs fecal tests on animals showing symptoms of a parasitic infection. Each animal is given a preventative dewormer that is 98% effective. The odds are likely that your animal came into our Adoption Center with a parasite. 2% of cases are not resolved by the initial dewormer, but you may wish to talk to your vet about running an easy and inexpensive fecal test at your initial check up if you have concerns.
Hours of operation
Tuesday 4:30 – 6:30 pm
Wednesday 4:30 – 7:30 pm
Saturday 12:00 – 3:00 pm
Dog showings are by appointment only.